Who doesn’t love a good dip? I absolutely love hummus, but I don’t want to eat hummus all the time. So I decided to create this Beanfields Snacks recipe for a dip that I know you’ll enjoy! It’s vegan and gluten-free and it can be used as a spread or, as I can attest to, be eaten straight out of the bowl! And do you see those ingredients? It’s completely guilt-free and full of nutrients! That’s what I call Food As Medicine.
Nutrients of this recipe (only some!):
Bell peppers – Vitamin C (157% in 1 cup!), B6, Vitamin A
Eggplant- Not an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, but a source nonetheless. Instead, though, eggplant provides us with nasunin, a potent antioxidant compound that protects cell membranes from damage.
Chickpeas- Manganese, Folate, Copper, Fiber, Phosphorus, Protein, Iron, Zinc
Health Benefits: In short, this recipe is packed with vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients to keep us well. Don’t know what phytonutrients are? Think again. I’m sure you’ve heard of carotenoids, flavonoids, and polyphenols before. Well, this recipe is full of phytonutrients that work to keep our body healthy and functioning properly. I won’t make specific health claims, but I recommend that if you are really curious about them, visit WHFoods.com to research some of the foods in this recipe and read about the numerous health benefits and you can follow up with the studies that support the claims.
Admittedly, as I’m learning as a nutrition student, it is best to eat bell peppers and many other vegetables without exposing them to heat (i.e. raw) due to the loss of some nutrients, but who says both can’t be done? I mean, what’s to stop you from enjoying this dip with slices of bell pepper, carrots, or celery? So, go ahead and have fun making this dip and eating it too!
ROASTED BELL PEPPER & EGGPLANT DIP
Red bell pepper- 1 medium
Eggplant- ½ medium
Chickpeas- 1 cup
Beanfields Jalapeno chips- ¼ cup crushed
Nutritional yeast- 1tbsp (optional)
Garlic- 1-2 cloves
Onion- ½ onion, sautéed
Olive oil- 4 tbsp (1/4 cup)
Water- 2-3 tbsp
Salt- ¼ teaspoon (more or less to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Coat roasting dish with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Slice bell pepper and eggplant and coat with oil using an oil brush. Place on roasting dish and roast in oven for 45 minutes.
- Pour and spread teaspoon of olive oil on sauté or frying pan and heat skillet on low heat.
- Chop onion and garlic and sauté in skillet on medium heat until almost fully cooked (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add chickpeas to pan for another 3-5 minutes. Add another teaspoon of olive oil if necessary.
- Take out the bell pepper and eggplant and place all ingredients in a blender, including remaining olive oil, Beanfields chips, and nutritional yeast if you are using it.
- Blend the ingredients on a lower mode until a proper dip texture is formed; the dip should not be too thick when in blender as it will thicken more when it sits and cools. Pour/scoop the dip into a bowl or container and place in fridge for an hour or so to cool. (This dip can also be enjoyed hot as a topping or as a side.)
- Enjoy however and with whatever you please!
Happy Eating & Cooking!